Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

My first post! This is a little intimidating. No one wants to start their blog career with a terrible, unreadable blog. ...or is it called a post? I guess I'll start with a little bit about myself. I live in Portland, OR, and I LOVE this city. Apart from the six months of straight cloud cover (on a good year), this city is perfect. I have an AMAZING husband, Nabil, and a super sweet puppy, Zizou. I'm pretty sure you can't get much cuter than him (the puppy as well as the hubby). I am a very lucky girl.

I like to think of myself as a creative and intellectual individual. A little left brain right brain sorta thing. The whole package you may think, but at times they seem to get in the way of one another. Right now I find myself in the middle of a "quarter life crisis". Straight out of college I chose to start a career in science. First as a lab research assistant, and then a clinical research assistant. It has become evident after three years of experience however that this is not where my true ambition lies. While I find science and psychology endlessly fascinating, it turns out the practice is not as much fun as the study.

As it turns out, this is not a great time to be changing career paths. My theory is that the more you try, the more likely it is that something will turn in your direction. And so this is where I find myself, applying like crazy and hoping something bites soon. ...and preferably something that pays a little more. Science, and research in particular, has little to no money for the little people. I have heard that this "quarter life crisis" is not uncommon. In fact, many of my friends are finding themselves in the same boat. When did life get so difficult? Is this what they meant by the "real world"? If so, I want to go back to school. Grad school? MBA? Maybe this will delay being a real grown up for a few more years.

Despite my current crisis I really do love my life here in PDX and I hope that this blog will share that with you all. My view is that future posts will be a much less heavy, and much more fun, funky, and fresh. Festivals, outdoor activities and helping to keep Portland weird are all part of our life in the city, and while we discover all the best and the worst I will share our tips, tricks, and trips along the way. Life is good, and it is best when it is shared.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...