Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall has begun

Fall in Oregon is probably my favorite time of year. The weather is still crisp and usually dry. It tends to stay above 50 degrees but below 70 so fall scarves and boots are a must. The clothes, the leaves, the activities are all a plus, but the real reason that I love fall is the food! This weekend the hubs and I had a weekend full of fall adventures. On Sunday we took a trip to Sauvie Island to go get some pumpkins. After all, no one can  do Halloween without pumpkins, right? That would be ridiculous!


 I've been to a few pumpkin patches before, but this was the first one I have been to where you actually got to go in the real field and pick your own. Above is what a field looks like after all the leaves are falling away (both naturally and from being trampled by the jack-o-lantern thirsty families) and the  pumpkins are left.


A few sunflowers were left, but there wasn't too much sun, so they were a little sad and droopy.


Of course we brought little Z. Once we put that gentle leader on him, he is transformed into the most well-mannered puppy you have ever seen. I would highly recommend it. Plus, isn't he so freakin' cute when he's sitting so politely!?


I got a whole bunch of decorative gourds as well. I had no idea that they hung on the vine like this. I don't know what I thought, but this wasn't it. We got to pick these too.


This year, the patch that we went to started a new type of pumpkin. It looks kinda like a big heirloom pumpkin but it has wart-like bumps all over it. Of course this is the one Nabil picked for carving. He has been very against making Halloween fancy and decorative with the pretty pumpkins, but once he saw these, he was all over it. I guess the warts add a scary flare.

He was very proud of his selection.


Since we were on the island anyway, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to wear out the pup. The water was still surprisingly warm, not that I would go in there, but Zizou couldn't resist. He loves to fetch!


Here is a little preview of what we brought home. We were also able to get some other fall veggies and other goods. Coming up I see some delicious fall recipes to make for the fam! ...if it all turns out that is. : )

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...