Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Artichokes; making the best even better

One of the things that my mom made that I absolutely loved when I was growing up was artichokes. I LOVE artichokes, and right now they are at the height of their season. Zupan's (which is my fave grocery store) has amazing artichokes. I found this recipe last spring for bar-b-qued artichokes, and after that, I will never go back. This recipe is amazing, and it is very simple. It takes a day of pre-planning, but it is well worth it.

All you need is the artichokes, garlic, olive oil, and fresh herbs for seasoning.

Here is what I do. First I steam the the artichoke about two-thirds from being fully done. Then I cut the artichoke in half. I never knew this before, but if you cut the artichoke in half and it had been mostly cooked, the little thorns are really easy to just scoop out.

  
After cutting out all the thorns, place the halves in a marinade over night.
The marinade is a mixture of the following ingredients:
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves chopped garlic ( I also substitute crushed garlic sometimes)
1/2 lemon squeezed
1 sprig of fresh rosemary chopped

The next day, all there is left to do is Bar B Que. Start cooking artichoke middle face down. Then flip. It only takes about ten minutes. I pour the marinade in the bowl when cooking the leaf side down.
No need for anything to dip the leaves in either. You are welcome, cause this the best thing since sliced bread!

Yum!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...