Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY Burlap Placemats

It has been a while. 2012 is shaping out to be busy, but the good news is that I finally got some time to post my DIY burlap placemats. I got the idea from a Pinterest post of course. You can find it here. The post where I found it said to use sharpie, but I thought that was way too time consuming and tedious. I elected to go with spray paint. I also decided to add a back to the burlap. Below is the how to.

I took a trip to JoAnn's for all my supplies. All I used was spray paint (black), stencil alphabet letters, burlap, and some heavier canvas-like fabric. First, I cut the burlap into the correct size. The standard size for a  placemat is about 10x16in.

I spray painted the letters onto the burlap making sure to cover the sides. Black spray paint can be messy. The hardest part about the whole project was actually coming up with 10 different words that are synonyms to eat, and are small enough to fit on the bottom right of a placemat. The words that I used were: eat, munch, scarf, dine, bite, chew, nibble, feed, nourish, chomp.

Next, I sewed the edges of the placemats. I did this for a few reasons. One, to make sure the burlap will stop fraying at a certain point. I actually like the look of frayed burlap, so I left about 3/4inch from the end. The second reason was to attach the underlying fabric. I thought this helped to make it look more like an actual placemat instead of leftover fabric.

I folded the canvas like fabric inward to make a straight edge that won't fray. If you like the frayed look, you can leave it raw.
 Ta Da!


The best part about these is that you can use them for all occasions. They are very versatile.

 
And that's it! Simple and easy but tres chic. Now go and make your own. :)
...until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...