Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Brussel sprouts made... GOOD!

My mom is a great cook. I like to think that is one of the things that I get from her. She will tell you that when my sister and I were growing up we hated everything she made. I think she is being a bit dramatic. We didn't hate everything, but come on mom, what kid wants to eat brussel sprouts? Not any kid that I know. And, no offense to my dear mother, but steamed veggies are no beno! I didn't even know that  brussel sprouts grew on a stem. I guess I just assumed they grew in a plastic bag in the freezer, and maybe in Wyoming, they do.

Weird looking right? Who knew?

One of the good things about being in Oregon, is that we get a lot of great, fresh produce. Last weekend at Sauvie Island Pumpkin Patch, I bought a bunch of fresh fall veggies. Now that I am all grown up and having to cook for myself, I am determined to make healthy food taste better, or at least make it edible. Why not start with brussel sprouts right? I have a few friends that have said they enjoy eating these foul smelling veggies, and after roasting them in the oven, I am inclined to agree. I never thought it would happen, but it did, they were delicious! It was actually very easy too. Here is what I did:


I cut all the sprouts in half and put them on a frying pan, cut side down. I wanted to try carrots while I was at it. They are not as good roasted, so just ignore them in the pic. Sprinkle everything with olive oil, chopped garlic and sea salt. Put it in the oven on 350 until the top leaves start turning golden brown and the sprouts are easy to spear with a fork. That's it! They will be a nice golden brown on the underside.


I ate them with cous cous (mostly because I like cous cous more than rice). It was so delicious, they may just go down as my favorite fall vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...