Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Ringing in the New Year... 2013 edition

2013 already?! Man oh man, I really can't believe it has already been a whole year since I pledged that I was going to make 2012 better than the year before, and I have to admit, we totally did it. The Zerizefs rocked 2012! Some of my resolutions may have fizzled out by mid-February, as they tend to do, but this past year was really one of the best years of my life. Here are some of the things that made this year so great:

# 1- After many years of photographing for a hobby, I decided to try my shutter hand on more of a professional level. I have made so many great, new friends and connections this year. And by second shooting weddings and meeting with other local photographers, I realized two things. (1) I have a LOT of work a head of me, and (2) I LOVE doing it.

# 2- Nabil and I bought a house! There is so much that goes into buying a first house. We learned more than we ever thought someone could know about the house hunting (more on that here) and by the end we were both exhausted, but we did it. We bought a place of our very own and now we get to do all sorts of fun projects to make this place our own.

# 3- We took the trip of a lifetime to Europe. I mean that literally. It was something we will probably never be able to do again. On Zerizef Eurotrip 2012, we hoped through Spain, drove around the French country side, spent a week in Paris, and saw the Olympics in London. I still can't believe we did it all, and we left with some awesome memories that Nabil and I will share forever.

We had a lot of great things in between, but those are the big highlights, and for the sake of keeping this post shorter than a small novel, I will stop the recap there and move onto resolutions. After much deliberation, I thought of three great resolutions that will help make 2013 even better than the last.

# 1- Remember people's birthdays and send cards (mostly) on time. Okay, this one won't necessarily make my year better, but I used to be so good at this, and who doesn't love getting a birthday card in the mail?! Just so you all know, I think about (most of) you on your birthday, and many times I may even get a little gift. The problem usually falls in sending it. Curse the Post Office which is only open when I am at work. And the mail box at the end of my driveway! ...okay there is no excuse for that one.

# 2- Prioritize! I really shouldn't care so much about the next new full season on Netflix. I mean the Walking Dead really isn't that good, right? But really, I need to put down the remote and focus firstly on what is most important: researching stuff for the photo biz, editing photos, marketing, snapping some shots, cleaning the house, working on the next house project, and of course, posting on the blog more often.

# 3- Work hard and play hard. I often get stuck in this element of keeping one foot out of the door incase I need to back out at the last minute without getting too injured. The fact is however, if I put 100% of myself into my business, my projects, and my friends/family, all of those things would be so much more successful and worthwhile. It's a little scary to say type that out in the open, because like I said, I want to grab onto my safety net and be able to say "Oh that, it didn't work out because the market is over-saturated, or ...I don't have the know-how to start that project, or ...Congress shoved me off the fiscal cliff..." You get the idea. I know that if I set my mind to it and put 100% of myself into anything, it will work. Failure breeds in uncertainty.

So that's it. 2012 was amazing, but I have a feeling that 2013 is going to be even better. :)

And here is this year's inspirational picture (courtesy of Instagram at 30,000 feet) to help you pick your kick-ass New Year's resolutions. Anyone feel like sharing theirs?


...until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...