Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Entryway Makeover - The Plan! Muahaha...

That was my evil plan laugh if you couldn't tell.

Anyway, back on track. Nabil and I have been in our house for a little over six months now, but it feels like we are still moving in. We haven't had the chance to do as much with the place as we would have liked so far. A very leaky roof and a lack of furniture to fill the place have made our to-do list projects a little cost prohibitive, but this winter we started working on our first room. This being one of our first house projects, we needed to start with a small room that we felt confident tackling and not getting overwhelmed mid-project.

Enter entry-way. If you can't remember, when we first moved in, it looked like this:
Note: This is the view looking at the entryway from the living room. The front door is on the left wall of the entryway.
Hate, hate, hate! I don't think that you can really get more out of date than wood paneling. And bookshelves in an entryway? Really?! I'm sure that they were meant to house picture frames, because I can't imagine who would want to store their books by the front door, but I would like my entry way to be a bit more functional. So what are the new plans you may be asking? Firstly, tear out those shelves and add in a little more light with paint.

I stupidly forgot to take a picture of the room right after I painted and before I took out the bookshelf, so here is my pre/post primer photo from Instagram. It's crazy how much paint can change a room.


As I tend to do, I got a random twinge of motivation just before we had a dozen people over for Thanksgiving. Less than a week before everyone arrived, we primed and painted the wood paneling a lovely shade a gray (Ozark Shadows by Benjamin Moore). I may have been a little crazy for starting the project and organizing dinner within the same week, but I desperately wanted the color to be at least a little more inviting when the guests arrived, and literally the day that they all left (less than 15 min after to be precise), I grabbed our new crowbar and tore out the hated bookshelves.  Soon after I realized that the pesky jut in the wall was actually part of the addition and I couldn't make the back wall flush like I originally planned, so onto plan B.

On Pinterest, I found this photo for my inspiration:
Side note: I would normally site the source here, but the link only lead me to a url with just the picture. What a shame.
I knew that I wanted a lot of the things that this entry had: a bench for putting on and taking off shoes, hooks for jackets, and a picture shelf for a little aesthetic appeal. The only thing it is missing is a place to put your shoes once they're off.

Here is the to-do list for the entry-way:
- tear out the bookshelf
- take out the paneling below where the picture shelf is going to be and add another texture to separate from the rest of the paneling.
- build a picture shelf to span the length of the back wall
- incorporate hooks for hanging coats/purses
- build a bench to go in the wall "nook" with a place for shoes underneath
- replace all the outdated trim and add crown molding
- replace the light fixture with something a little more modern
- replace the front door (eventually! Realistically, this is probably a few years down the line)

More entryway progress to come soon. Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. I love it, Courtney - can't wait to see it all when you're finished! And just so you know, you aren't the only crazy to do something durastic and time consuming right before Thanksgiving company, ha! I once painted my kitchen (yup, the KITCHEN) the night before. Never again... I was painting and cooking pies at the same time, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Hopefully you didn't get any paint in your pies :) Good to know I'm not the only person who gets some spur of the moment inspiration.

      Delete
  2. Hmm… I can’t blame you for making a huge change with your entryway; everything doesn’t seem to be in proper order. I like your idea of incorporating hooks for hanging coats and building a bench for a nook. That would help you welcome your guests.

    Homer Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Homer! You can see the mid-way point here: http://court-zerizef.blogspot.com/2013/01/come-on-in-and-have-seat.html
      and the finished product here: http://court-zerizef.blogspot.com/2013/02/ding-dong-entry-is-done.html
      It's been SOOO much better for coming in and for welcoming guests/giving them a place to put their stuff. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...