Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Rice Bowls

Need another healthy, week night recipe? Look no further, because you have found another here!

Recently, Nabil and I have started eating rice bowls once or twice a week. The first time we made this, we actually did it because we needed to use all of our left overs before they went bad. Since then it has become a staple. The how-to is below.

Instead of buying chips from the store, we often bake pieces of corn tortilla. I think that they taste much better, and they are actually much better for you since they are baked and not fried. To do this, I drizzle olive oil on the pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake at 350 until crispy. It usually only takes about 15 min.

I like to use shredded chicken in my bowls. To makes this I fry a few chicken breasts on the stove in  a mixture of chicken broth and canned tomatoes. I also add chopped garlic and a small amount of chopped onions. Cook this way until chicken is almost fully cooked through. Remove chicken and place on a cutting board.

Pull apart chicken with two forks, creating a pile of nice shredded chicken. Place everything back on the stove in the remained of the liquid and stir. The chicken will soak up all remaining liquid.

I usually use brown rice for a base, add some beans (any type, I prefer black or refried), add the shredded chicken, and top with cheese and lettuce. You may add or subtract anything that you would like, or mix and match. The best part about rice bowls is that everyone can have a little something different.

I like to eat mine by dipping the chips; like fancy nachos. Nabil usually makes his bowl into a burrito. Any way you choose to eat it, will be delicious.


 Now that the weather is getting better in PDX, I'm hoping to start a bit more DIY posts, although you can be sure the recipe posts will not stop here.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...