Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Weekend Breakfast

Growing up, my favorite meal ever was french toast. In fact, I loved it so much, I ordered french toast every restaurant that I went (if it was on the menu). Since then, I have broadened my taste when dining out, but I still greatly appreciate a good french toast. I found this recipe in the book "A Homemade Life" by Molly Wizenberg, but you can also find it here.

Molly would argue that the trick to good french toast is to use oil instead of butter when frying, I would agree, but I think that using a larger ratio of milk to eggs also helps to give the toast a more custardy inside. It is best to use a thick bread like Texas toast or french bread. The bread needs to be day or two old so that it is just a little stale. I used french rolls so the sizes were a little smaller, like french toast sliders.

1 cup milk (the recipe calls for whole, but I use almond milk)
3 large eggs (beaten)
1.5 T sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
Light oil, like canola or safflower
3 loaves of french rolls cut into 1 inch thick slices
Pure maple syrup, for serving

Side note: Did you know that this is what nutmeg looks like? I used to only use ground nutmeg from the store until I discovered how easy it was to get the whole seed and freshly grate it when needed.

Whisk together the first six ingredients. This is the batter to soak the bread slices. Each side needs to soak for about two minutes. Place each slice on a hot skillet with a pool of oil. It may sound a little weird, but it's important that there is a lot of oil. Not just coating the bottom of the pan, but enough to boil around the bottom of the bread. You'll know that the oil is hot enough if you flick a bit of the batter in the oil and it starts to bubble.

You can soak the second round of slices when the first is sizzling.  Flip after about 1 minute. Cook until each side is done. Drizzle with pure maple syrup, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

Yummy!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...