Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sister Sydney's Graduation

You may remember a few months ago when I wrote this post about my once little sister all grown up. Well, it finally happened. About a month ago she walked across that rickety old stage and graduated from college. It is the first time in our lives that her and I have had the same education level. ...and soon she will surpass me. Curse myself for wanting to change career paths!

Anyway, we all convened to celebrate my sister and her smarts for the whole weekend of graduation. Since for the last year or so I tend to have my camera with me at a lot of events for other people, I find myself wanting to be in the moment instead of taking pictures at my own family events; however, I tried to bring it with me a few different places that weekend. Good times to remember in the future I suppose.

The night before graduation we all met up for a casual dinner at a great local restaurant. If you are in the Spokane area, I highly recommend the Casper Fry. Good food, good atmosphere, and some good company.
Portland, OR Lifetsyle Photographer

My sister's Godfather, Tom, drove into town to celebrate with us. It was so great to have him there and spend some time with him because I really haven't seen him since I was in high school (almost ten years ago). It always makes me a little nostalgic to see people that I used to see fairly often when I was younger. Is this what it feels like to be a grown up?!
Portland, OR Lifetsyle Photographer

And of course the rents made it to town to celebrate as well.
Portland, OR Lifetsyle Photographer

Nabil (my hubby) and his mom (who was in town to visit while we were waiting for my sister-in-law to have her baby ...more on that later) also made the trip to celebrate. It was a pretty epic weekend of family and fun.

The next day we piddled around downtown. We hit up Madeline's (of course) and soon after Sydney kicked my butt running along the waterfront path. Man am I out of shape. Ugh! After I scraped myself off the pavement it was about that time.
Portland, OR Lifetsyle Photographer

No one tripped or fell off the stage and they had great speakers. If I had the program sitting next to me, I would tell you some names. I know one of them was a state representative.... If I can find that program, I'll update the post with some names.

And when the name calling started to drag on a little long, Syd and I texted one another so I could get a very classic thumbs up pic. Nailed it!
Courtney Z Photography

These came out a little blurry (my fault for not bringing the good lens), but I love it because I used some big sister peer pressure to convince her to turn around and hold up her diploma after she shook the President of the University's hand. What else are texting and big sisters for if not to provoke and prode the youngsters.

And just look at that pretty face. It's official!
Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

At Syd's school, each of the students decorated their own cap. They can do whatever they want. We saw music notes, spray paint, nursing symbols, etc. Sky is the limit. Syd chose to write a quote from one of my very faves (Man in the Mirror). I mean who doesn't love a little MJ!? And there is a little heart around Tanzania since she spent a semester studying abroad there and will probably go back as part of her grad school program. She also got a lea from one of her friends from Hawaii. They both really help to complete the ensemble, don't ya think?
Courtney Z Photography


I knew it, right when you saw that picture (above) you thought "wait, what?! Courtney is being serious in a picture with Syd?!" Don't worry, that quickly faded away. I just can't help myself, silly pictures are so much more fun.

Portland, OR Lifetsyle Photographer

It's official!!!
Courtney Z Photography

Congrats Syd! Nabil and I couldn't be anymore proud and excited for you! You have done some amazing things already, and we can't wait to see where your journey takes you next. Love you!!!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...