Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Can I please get some curb appeal?

We have been in the new house for a couple of weeks about a month now. In that much time, we have come to the conclusion that it always seems like there will be enough time to get everything checked off that pesky to-do list, but there never is. We still don't have everything out of boxes or up on the wall yet, but I decided that we needed to get some major curb appeal before people came over for our house warming party. Anyone walking by would assume that noone has lived here for the last year and a half. It is an accurate assumption, but not anymore. Time to spruce things up!

Before:


Progress:


One of the great things about moving into a new house of your very own, is that other people who have been there before know how overwhelming and expensive it can be. Ergo, we have gotten a lot of gift cards to Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. from friends. It has been so incredibly helpful, and we REALLY appreciate all the help that we have gotten. We are very lucky to have great firends and neighbors. Last weekend we used one of our gift cards on our weekly trip to Home Depot. Among other tools and supplies, we cam home with some plants to spruce up the front of the house a bit.

Like most first-time home owners everything that we do is on small budget. After doing some research and keeping track of the direct light/sun schedule in the area for the past couple weeks, I found some relatively inexpensive plants that will really help to make things more inviting.

Sedge Evergold - 4-6 hours of sun - $6 each
I love me a good hasta, and like hastas these plants are low maintainence and require little direct sunlight.  ...I think that these are evergreens too. I could be wrong though. I guess we'll find out in 6 months.

Rex Begonia - 4-6 hours of sun - $6 each
same as above. I just found out however that these are annuals. I usually only buy perennials, because who wants to plant again every day?

Buxus Sepervirens Argenteo-Variegata  - 4+ hours of sun - $5 on sale at Bovees Nursery (awesome local Portland family, owned business)
Nabil and I randomly found this nursery when driving around the new neighborhood. I wanted an evergreen shrub that would be low-maintainence, didn't need a lot of direct sunlight, and was easy to trim/prune.

Osmanthus x Burkwood II - 4+ hours of sun - $5, also on sale at Bovees Nursery (picture to come)
I wanted to put something next to our huge ugly cement planter. Our house water valve in under the planter, so we have to leave it here so we can access the valve, but I wanted a little shrub that would help to hide the ugliness a bit. ...maybe to even wrap around the planter. This little evergreen shrub is supposedly low mainatinence, and in the spring it blooms little fragrant white flowers.

Pretty Pink Peonies - 6+ hours of sun - $15
These were the most expensive plant that I bought, but they are one of my favorite flowers, and I make Nabil spend more than $15 every summer "surprising" me with a peony boquet, so I figured I could do it if I only buy one. ...maybe I'll buy a few more next spring. :)

All together now:



So much better! That's all for now. Many more outdoor projects to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...