Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Picture This Finale!

The last post was about making a reclaimed wood picture frame. I had finished the actual frame, but it wasn't really usable because it didn't have glass or a backing. You didn't think that I would leave you all hanging did you? Get it? It's a play on words. ...Okay not a great one.

Since I had the frame, I took it to a nearby frame shop. They measured the insert, and cut the glass and the backing. The whole thing took about 5 minutes. Not only that, it only cost 5 smackers!

They gave me these to use to hold the backing.

I know that it is on the back, and no one will see it, but I wanted to change the gold and silver to something that matches or at least blends in with the dark ebony stain on the back. I used just a bit of this great rust-oleum spray paint that I had saved up to use for a future project.
I screwed in the six clasps, and painted the backing with regular acrylic paint that I already had. They gave me a white foam board, and that would have been too much contrast. Again, I realize that this is the back, but I don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb. This is what the back of the frame looked like in the end:


If you really wanted you could tack on another backing in order to make it a stand up frame. This is only another couple dollars from the frame store. Super easy, but unnecessary if you want to prop it up against a wall or hang it.

Here is the final product. Dun, dun, dun dunnnn......


And the detail shot:


And here is the price break down:

Wood to make the frame - $0 - I had this left over from a past project.
Elmer's Wood Glue - $0 - Already owned
Ebony wood stain - ~$8
Clear polyurethane - $0 - I had this left over from a past project.
Glass and backing - $5 - my glass and backing was about 7" x 9". It would have cost a bit more for a bigger piece.

Total = $13

Considering I found these two frames for about $40 each at the Rebuilding Center, I think that I came across on top.

Plus, I like mine better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...