Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

10 on 10 - May

Portland Lifestyle Photography

This week I decided to travel back and re-visit where my photography journey originally began. Last week, I went to see the Finding Vivian Maier documentary (it's great btw). It inspired me in a number of ways, one of which was to bring my camera with me when I'm out and about and brush off my street photography skeeelz.

When I first started diving into photography, I was using black and white film photography and developing in the college darkroom. I was immediately drawn to street photography and some of the greats. Henri Cartier-Bresson spoke about the "decisive moment"; knowing the exact split second when to click the shutter. This is a skill that is an integral part in every job that I do. As a lifestyle photographer, this is something that I consistently try to perfect, because once that moment is gone, it is lost forever unless you were ready to push that button.

Robert Frank, Dorothea Lange, Alfred Einsenntaedt, Lee Friedlander, Helen Levitt, Eric Kim, Anthony Kurtz, and Elliott Erwitt have all been an inspiration to me at one point or another. It seems I continually draw from people who have mastered the art of capturing beauty in tedious, daily life.

So for this month's 10 on 10 I wanted to step back from my usual and share a little bit about our city using all of that as inspiration. I stuck with my digital format (because if I'm going to do film, I'm going to use a dark room and I have no time for that these days) and hit the streets of Portland.
Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Courtney Z Photography

Thanks again for stopping by this month. Come back next month for another 10 on 10!

Make sure to check out the other 10 on 10ers. As always, they are sure to have some great stuff.


Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! Love some good old-fashioned street photography!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...